Friday, October 9, 2009

Whose Child Am I

I am waiting to hear from the job interview process day by day. The HR Director said she'll try and call me before she boards the plane home from Chicago. That was last Friday. No call.

I'll try and not be anxious.

I have gone over the interview in my head a dozen times. I met with the HR director first. It was a good and pleasant conversation. Then she called in my direct boss (if hired) and we had another very interesting conversation. And then I met with two potential peers. Again, a great talk with lots of good questions.

Yet I keep going back to the session with my peers and my boss. My peers had read too much into me and my boss had asked a tough question which led to a tough answer.

My peers queried me on this and that and I answered honestly. But at one point they said how excited they were that I was so knowledgeable on healthcare data, calling me passionate about it. "Whoa!" I said. "I do understand some things about the data, but please don't get the idea that I am a data junkie. There are dedicated professionals who do that and I am not one of them. But I am happy to share what I do know."

I was taking a risk by being honest. The point is that in the world's eyes, I had them hook, line and sinker and I could have reeled them in on an issue that was obviously important to them. But setting up an expectation like that is basically a lie. And it would only be a matter of time before it hurt me. Besides, I'm not to lie...ever.

Then my boss asked in her session with me, "What motivates you?"

My first answer was entirely "business" appropriate and something like, "...building relationships and working on business process improvement." This job requires a lot of both of those so the answer stuck and she made a note.

Then she repeated the question, "What else motivates you?" Hmm...what is she looking for? "Mentoring people so that those around me want to come into work the next day. I value enabling people to do their jobs better." Again, a nod and a note.

Then she repeated the question, "Tell me what really motivates you?" By now I'm stuck. What else is she looking for? What is relevant in all the things I've heard from her thus far in the interview that I can bring to bear? What?

Then I heard a still, small voice: "I do."

That was God's voice. I recognized it clearly and knew what to say. "My only other answer is Biblical."

"How so?" she asked.

"Do all things as unto the Lord."

Finally, she smiled. This was the moment: would I sell out with a canned interview answer or would I stand up for an honest answer, spoken respectfully and quietly in the face of someone who has the power to hire me or not when I desperately need a job.

Taking the clue from her smile, I continued, "If you hire me, I'm not only working for you, but I'm working for God." And I looked her straight in the eye.

Then she smiled broadly and said, "That's a good answer. That shows character and integrity. I like that. That's good."

I need this job terrifically. But I need my Lord more. I was respectful and I was thoughtful and I was instant in prayer, but I was truthful.

In the end of all things, I will have to remember whose child I am. I my Father's child. He watches over me and will never leave me. He loves me and like any child of ours, He longs for us to be proud of Him.

So Daddy, into your hands I commit this interview. I pray you always give me the strength to say, "I am proud of you!" in the eyes of the world.

[Mat 10:32 NKJV] - "Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven.


Your Adopted and Loving Son,
Jack

3 comments:

  1. I am proud of you too! We continue to pray for God's perfect will to be played out in your life and your family. We are praying for you while you wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, you astound me! God put those perfect answers on your lips and you had the courage to utter them. You can be proud, whatever the outcome. However, you and Debbie know that I am holding out for the outcome WE want because otherwise God would have gotten this whole thing wrong...and God doesn't make mistakes, so it will happen. I just know it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FRIDAY, OCTOBER 16, 2009

    This is my favorite entry of all. I love the integrity you display every day in every sobering moment you live. What a risk! What courage!

    I love you very much.

    Your sister,

    Sue

    ReplyDelete