Monday, October 19, 2009

The End Intended

I've often thought of what God intended to do in my life during these trials over the last 19 months. In fact, I've pleaded, cried, rebelled and been depressed while asking Him to reveal those intentions in my life over this long, long, way too long period of time.

And then I found James' encouragement:

Jam 5:10 NKJV - My brethren, take the prophets, who spoke in the name of the Lord, as an example of suffering and patience. Indeed we count them blessed who endure. You have heard of the perseverance of Job and seen the end [intended by] the Lord--that the Lord is very compassionate and merciful.

People have called me a modern day Job. But with so many people in similar circumstances, "Job-itis" seems to be a common disease! So I looked at the end intended for Job and it blew me away.

If you don't know the story of Job, it goes a little like this: Job was the richest man alive with family, friends, health and wealth; and he loved God. So Satan asked God to let Him destroy Job so Satan could prove Job's love for God was only skin deep. God then let Satan touch Job within limits.

Satan destroyed Job's wealth and then his family and then his health. Finally, Satan burdened Job with a few horrible compadres who gave rotten, accusing, condemning counsel. In the end, God finally appears to Job and His friends and reads them the riot act in a loving/holy/terrifyingly humbling encounter. Through all this Job did not sin against God with his lips. This does not mean to say that Job did not question God nor wail in his pain, but he trusted Him.

What was the end result intended by God? There are two things that happened. The second is less important than the first: God multiplied Job's possessions and family exactly twice as much as before. That is of course always a pleasant thing to happen to one, I suppose. May it happen to me! May it happen to all of us!

The most important thing that happened is reflected in this confession from Job:


42:5 NKJV - "I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear, But now my eye sees You."

Job knew and feared God before, but now after the trials, Job met God face-to-face. Job became intimate with God.

So I look back on these 19 months and see if that has happened:

  • My "Starry Host" presentations have taken on a deep-felt passion and legitimacy
  • Debbie and I prayed on our faces...together
  • Our family has committed more resources for God because we know who our rescuer is...
  • We are praying about opening our home to a Bible study because it is our reasonable service to Him who delivers
  • Debbie and I are seeing more of God in each other
  • We are finally understanding how God moves on people's hearts in compassion so they pray unceasingly, give unselfishly and encourage endlessly
  • Our hearts are changing so that we can do the same for others

So has the end intended by God been brought about? As with all things of God, it is a work in progress. But I wouldn't miss the ride for the world!

May God's intended end for you be as fruitful.

~Jack

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reminder. I needed this today. What a treasure to find God's "intended end"!

    ReplyDelete