Monday, September 21, 2009

The Cat

So last Friday Debbie and I sat in front of the NBC cameraman and an Emmy-award winning news reporter/producer. They were consummate professionals as we spilled our guts about the last year-and-a-half. They made us feel comfortable and safe and they managed to respect our privacy.

And then they made us cry.

Fabulous. I'm going on NBC news and I'm crying.

Just when I think I've got a grip on our situation, a particularly poignant detail surfaces and I lose it.

In this case the reporter asked how the children were taking the possibility of losing the house. I described our 9-year old's thoughts and then explained how the 4-year old really didn't know. But she knows enought to grab the cat around the belly and say, "Daddy! Please don't give away the kitty! Please not the kitty! I love the kitty!"

As I described this during the interview, my heart just broke. How do I assure her I don't intend to ever give away our wonderful friend the cat when I know that if we have to move, we will probably have to do just that.

My voice could barely get the words out and my eyes filled with tears in front of the camera.

I can live anywhere, but when I think about what a move would mean to my children and my wife, I can't stand it.

Please remember us, Lord. You've given me this family and I am unable to provide for them.

Your loving and hopeful son,
Jack

6 comments:

  1. This so breaks me. I feel confident this news cast will bring forth intervention from someone out there able to help. God certainly has enough angels out there to be able to help.

    Standing in faith for your family to keep the house and Kittie and to see complete restoration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Jenna Jordan and I just heard the newscast on NBC. It moved me to a flood of tears that have yet to stop. I would like to get in contact with you and your family and get to know you better to see how I could help. I recently started my own business here in San Diego and I'm looking for representatives in the San Diego county.

    My number is 951-704-6867, please give me a call when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jack,

    I just watch your news on NBC. I almost cried. I really can understand your situation. My husband was unemployed for 3 years back in 2000 after the dot com crash. So hang in there... you will find a job and start your career again. Just have faith.

    I do have a suggestion on your job search. You might want to consider to post your complete resume on as many site as possible. With this NBC news, a lot of people will check out your blog. You might want to post your resume and contact information, so people can help you if there is an opportunity. Also you might want to consider complete your career profile on Linkedin. I read your profile there, you have a pretty impressive background. But you need to market more.. Recruiters look for sites like Linkedin and Monster, don't stick with only one site, post as many as possible. If recruiter finds you, typically you have a better chance to get an interview.

    I sincerely hope you will find the opportunity soon. You are lucky to have such a wonderful family. At the end of the day, nothing matters but your family and their love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jack,

    We just saw your story on NBC news. Please send me your resume so I can see if there is some way I can help.

    russ.buckley@gmail.com

    Russ Buckley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heavenly Father, I come before you today to pray for Jack and his family. Heavenly Father, I know from the piece I saw on TV that Jack is a wise man, and he’s attacking his responsibilities any way he can. Heavenly Father I’m know that you have a plan for Jack and his family. I pray to you, that you give Jack and his family peace, and move them forward through their situation. Heavenly Father I pray that you continue to bless Jack and his family and allow others to notice their gifts and open doors for them. In Jesus’ name I come before and pray, amen.

    -Keep praying and visualizing Jack. I don’t profess to know the future, and I don’t go before the Lord enough, but feel in my heart the Lord will lift your whole family out of this situation soon. God Bless.

    -David

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just saw the story on TV and want to wish you guys well! I am in a similar situation as yours, being out of work for 6 months and I am stressed and worried enough as it is. I coundn't imagine adding ilness and housing troubles to the mix.

    I am not a religous person but your faith and trust is still inspiring to me.

    what kind of work are you looking for again???

    if i see something while on the prowl i can forward it over to you.


    erickmayes@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete