Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Right Tool at the Right Time

There is a maxim among any people who use tools. The right tool at the right time is priceless.

I am building a giant pergola (arbor) for a client. God has blessed me with skill I really don't have and I'm having a good time. Then it comes time to cut the ends of the rafters in fancy corbel cuts. I whip out my Dad's trusty 30 year old miniature saw and fail...and try again and fail again...and try again and fail again. It's just the wrong tool and to continue to use it would spoil the project and probably injure me.

So after prayer, I went and bought the right tool. I can't afford it, but I have to have it to get the job done correctly and safely. The next four hours went smoothly and joyfully. The right tool at the right time is priceless.

Last week I had to help my partner (and mentor) through a difficult problem in a kitchen remodel. He used me infrequently and I had to stand around waiting quite a bit in between helps. But I did not feel badly not helping all the time: I was the right tool at the right time when he needed me.

Today I hope you find an opportunity to be the right tool at the right time for someone. The rewards for that person are fantastic and your reward in heaven is sure:

Gal 6:2 NKJV - Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

Be the right tool,
Jack

2 comments:

  1. What a great way to put that... being the right tool at the right time. I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack, I know Dad's saw and you're off by about ten years. Try forty years old. AND, there ain't no way, bro of mine, that you could do ANYTHING even close to creative with that saw. Those were the days of measure twice, cut thrice because if'n you wanted anything but a straight line, you be barking up the wrong pergola.

    Love you and please send Dad's saw up to me because I'm looking for a base for some yard art...that's all that saw is good for. However, at least it is good for something! Having turned 55, I now must always think of finding a purpose for older things. Ahem.

    Love you, but I already said that.

    ReplyDelete