Friday, August 7, 2009

If I Were a Rich Man

"If I were a rich man...Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum!" There once was a time when I was a rich man. Once upon a time I was well off. I could buy anything I wanted and I really did not worry about it.

Now I am a handyman. And happy. While it's not easy being poor, there are some definite perks. The biggest is that I perceive the world in a new light. It used to be that I did not worry about food. Now I am conscious that there's lots of good milk still in the cereal bowl at the end...and in that milk there is lots of good nutritional value to be had.

There once was a time when getting a good deal at a name store for clothes was great, but now getting a fantastic deal at the thrift store is a total victory in the day.

There used to be a time when buying a new tool was a nicety, now it's critical for my work.

And so far, God is providing for us. That's really cool. We're still not making enough for the mortgage, but I'm making more every day. I'm still looking for traditional work, but day by day God is providing something or other.

I feel good at the end of the day. I've worked hard and contributed to my family's well-being. And I've faithfully served my clients.

There is a promise to be had here:

Mat 6:25 NKJV - "Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing?

Mat 6:26 NKJV - Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?

Mat 6:27 NKJV - Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?

Mat 6:28 NKJV - "So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin;

Mat 6:29 NKJV - and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

Mat 6:30 NKJV - Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, [will He] not much more [clothe] you, O you of little faith?

Mat 6:31 NKJV - "Therefore do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?'

Mat 6:32 NKJV - For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.

Mat 6:33 NKJV - But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.

Mat 6:34 NKJV - Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day [is] its own trouble.

We have not starved yet and He has more miracles to provide for us because the essential bills are many. But He is faithful.

He promised.

Jack

4 comments:

  1. This makes me smile. He IS faithful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second you on doing a happy dance when finding a bargain at the thrift store! Thanks for a great post Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jackson,

    You are providing for your family. This is what God, you, your wife, your family, your neighbors all want you to do. Providing for your family is not a solitary event. It takes understanding from your wife and children if the hours are longer than anticipated. And, it seems, they always are. Providing for your family takes the support of your employer, or if self employed, it takes discipline to say "No, sweetie, as much as I wish I could, I cannot come see you in the play because my job takes me to the other side of the county today and I need to be there". And most of all, providing for your family takes the flexibility, patience and vision to realize that all situations are temporary and the answer given today is just for today. Tomorrow's situation WILL be different and my answer MIGHT be different, but for today, this is what I have to do in order to meet the goals for tomorrow.

    You know, Jack, I know a lot of millionaires. In fact, you currently have one or two in your own family. When I was young, being a "millionaire" was something inconceivable. You associated that term with being "rich" and possibly "famous". But now, many, many people have assets in multiples of millions. Yet, they still have to budget and plan and save. For the last ten years, Gary and I haven't travelled like we used to. In the "old days" we would go to the store, buy a new appliance or new furniture because we wanted to. Didn't necessarily NEED this item, but it was fun, we were bored and after all, it WAS Saturday, so why not? Well, then we grew up. Now, that money is in the bank, providing for emergencies, for our future or for the future of our heirs. I have many neighbors who have multiples of millions, but they budget and save for major purchases. Granted, they COULD just go out on Saturday and spend like people think they should, but they, too, are at the point that the best thing their money can buy is security.

    I'm not by any means disagreeing with what you state in your blog. I'm only trying to ask you to be kinder to yourself and accept that you have done your level best to provide for your family. I keep deleting what I am typing because I cannot truly express what I want to say. I guess my point is that if you need a tool, you need to get that tool. And you need to be supported by everyone who can benefit from the use of that tool. Now, if you go out and purchase frivolous and disposable items that have no true benefit for your family's future, then shame on you. But being a "rich man, hubba, bubba, bubblicious, yabba-dabba-do" is just a name of a song. It isn't a license to spend foolishly or immaturely. It might feel like an answer to some people, especially those without a lot of disposable income. But it just a temporary situation, like those I mentioned above, and although it seemingly provides a sense of security and prosperity, it doesn't provide any answers that you cannot already provide yourself. Money doesn't make people loyal or kind or smart like you are. You have become those things by your own childhood experiences and those of your adult life.

    I wish you could name a blog after a song that would celebrate what you have accomplished during this difficult period because THAT song would describe a mature man, a loving and kind man as well as a man who is smart enough to still budget to go to Lowe's and buy a tool he needs in order to provide for his family.

    I love you, Jack, and am here for you always.

    --S

    ReplyDelete