Sunday, August 23, 2009

Promises, promises

Did Life ever promise me it'd be a bed of roses? Nope. It promised to be full of rose thorns instead. At least that's what the Bible teaches me. Does Life owe me for the hand I've been dealt? Nope. Not according to God for He controls all things, not "Life". Did Life promise me it'd be fair and considerate of my wife and children and me? Nope, nope, nope. It promised that it would be impartial in it's pain, hitting sinners and saved alike with it's remorseless and uncompassionate goings-on in it's sin-stained brokenness.

I don't see any promises issued by Life that I care to stand around waiting for.

Did God promise He'd never leave me nor forsake me? Yes! Did God promise to be my comforter and healer? Yes! Did God promise that even though I cannot understand His ways, His ways are perfect? YES!

So God, I choose your promises in this broken world of sickness, surgeries, theft, car problems, murder and pain. Please help me remember what I have that is good: my wife, children, family, food and a roof.

Please help me remember that Life owes me nothing and that I owe you everything.

Rom 12:1 NKJV - I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment