Thursday, July 9, 2009

Stick a needle in my eye!

There. I said it. Looking for work is like sticking a needle in my eye. I used to be able to look at a job description and say, "I could do that! I can change my resume and cover letter to match that job! I can do it!"

Now I read a job description and say, "They'll ding me for this point here...and they'll reject me for that one point there." I've gone from optimism to negativism. And I don't like the change.

Looking for work every day for 15 months now is a horrid task. I dread it. I fear sitting down at the computer. A guy can only take so much rejection from the world.

But it's at that point that I step back and realize that my identity is NOT what the world thinks of me. It is what Jesus thinks of me. He thinks that I am special and that I am trustworthy to take care of a beautiful wife and two wonderful children. He thinks I am capable of getting through these trials because He has promised never to let me be tempted beyond what I am able.

Wow. Those are pretty high expectations of my capabilities. "So then," I say to God. "Just where is my job, God? Where do you want me to look? How do you want me to change my point-of-view just enough so that I see the answer that has been there all along? Don't you want me to work?"

In response to that very urgent prayer this morning He had me flip open my Bible to a random page. And there I read from Ecclesiastes:

Ecc 7:9-10 NKJV - Do not hasten in your spirit to be angry, For anger rests in the bosom of fools. Do not say, "Why were the former days better than these?" For you do not inquire wisely concerning this.

Point well taken, God. I will not be angry anymore. Thank you for reminding me.

And then I read...

Ecc 7:13 NKJV - Consider the work of God; For who can make straight what He has made crooked? In the day of prosperity be joyful, But in the day of adversity consider: Surely God has appointed the one as well as the other, So that man can find out nothing [that will come] after him.

Right again. You keep us guessing about the future because we can make no sense of the past. You want us to trust in you for your benign providence.

And in answer to whether or not He wants me to work...

Ecc 5:18-20 NKJV - Here is what I have seen: [It is] good and fitting [for one] to eat and drink, and to enjoy the good of all his labor in which he toils under the sun all the days of his life which God gives him; for it [is] his heritage. As for every man to whom God has given riches and wealth, and given him power to eat of it, to receive his heritage and rejoice in his labor--this [is] the gift of God. For he will not dwell unduly on the days of his life, because God keeps [him] busy with the joy of his heart.

Yes. He wants me to work. Not only that, but He wants me to enjoy the fruit of my work. And not only that, he wants me to be busy with the joy of my heart. Now that's a promise I can hold on to. He wants me to work doing the joy of my heart. That's not self-centered. It's not that I'm expecting to make money hanging out at the beach. It is exciting because my joy is to work for Him in anything that I do.

So I pray for my heart to align with God's heart and to find my vocation in His joy.

And thus I wait on Him another day.

Be encouraged.

Jack

2 comments:

  1. Stay in the word! An unending resevoir of strength!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you had the courage to follow your heart and add God's word. You are planting seeds, Jack, and you may never know the harvest. You will surely be a blessing to those who are following your blog.

    ReplyDelete